So...I needed a changed and was so sick of seeing so much brown in my living room, all the brick is starting to drive me nuts. Since we rent I decided to do a little painting. Although I have refinished many, many things in my house. I have to give credit to All Things Thrifty for giving me the color idea and also the glazing 101 tutorial, because I had never done that before. I had some major frustrations along the way but I finally got it finished. So here it is, and for the most part I like it, I think it will look better against a wall that is not brick but for now it looks better than all the brown. And we move in 7 months so after that I wont have to see all this brick, lol. Anyways here it is...
Can you tell how much we like Fox News?And then the lamp shade. This is what I did first to see if I liked the color and I was so happy with how it turned out I definitely wanted to do the entertainment center. I re-did the lampshade with fabric, mod podge, and hot glue.....If you don't know me very well...I LOVE MOD PODGE!
Anyways, there are a few things that I would suggest when doing this big of a project. 'All Things Thrifty' suggests using the kilz spray paint primer. Which I first started with and I did the lamp shade and it worked great. But when doing a BIG piece of furniture I would not suggest the spray paint primer. It needs to be primed but after spending a ton on like 6 bottles of primer (4.44 each) and then more than half the bottles sprayed like sand paper.... I was frustrated with how much money was being spent and didn't want to have to sand after priming. I decided that the paint on primer would have been a lot cheaper....I ended up buying a gallon of kilz primer and re primed the entire thing with a brush. So bottom line is if you are doing anything bigger than 1-2 cans of primer. DO NOT prime with spray paint, prime with a paint brush. I wish I would have done that in the first place, would have been a lot more thrifty. But it was fun to learn how to glaze and I am definitely glad I did it to these 2 pieces.
12 comments:
LOVE THE REDO! just love it! Great JoB!!
Way to go Daniel! And, I love the Redo. I am so impressed. Plus, I love that OReilly is on in both pictures. You would make Sam proud!
I LOVE allthingsthrifty! It's great. You did a good job. I'm not a huge fan of the spray primer either...
You are so talented!! you picked a super cute color!!!!
wow i'm very impressed! it looks great! i love it love it. is all things thrifty a website?
I L.O.V.E. everything you have done! That entertainment center is GORG! and tat table is so pretty! Great Job!
These turned out great! I especially love that lamp. The brown and turquoise is sooooo pretty!
I'd love to know what brand and color your paint was. Your project turned out just gorgeous!
Way to go Andrea! I'm Modge Podge girl too! I can't get enough of it!
WOW! I even like it against the brick - I know what you are saying about getting tired of all the brown though....I lived in a refurbished warehouse apartment, and even though it was gorgeous with exposed beams and other architecturally cool details, most of the walls were brick and it does get to you after a while...
great pics of your kids too!
I was looking at the all things thrifty website and knew that that was yours! The fox news is what gave it away for me ha ha! I love it!
Great Job! I have a question. Did you use spray paint? or did you paint the color blue on with a brush?
Post a Comment