Ok here is a question for all you Facebook people... Both Daniel and I have been considering getting facebook pages, we have people telling us to get them or receive invites in our email all the time. We just have never been interested in the myspace/facebook hype. And honestly kind of felt like it was just college/high school, dating, scene that we didn't need to take part in. I personally feel like it is a place that could get relationships into trouble, but I could be totally wrong about this as well. I've been playing around on my brothers facebook just to see what it was like and I have see some old friends and people that I would never be able to keep in contact with unless I had something like this. So I have been thinking about this and what to do. I love blogger and keeping in contact with different friends and families we are close too but not everyone has one and I hate that you can't contact someone that has a private blog. That drives me nuts. And I don't want to be so personal with 200 different people. So anyways, I would like some info about how you feel about facebook and if it is smart for us to get one or not, or even if it is as cool as everyone thinks it is. Be honest and don't hold back feelings, I don't get offended and I just want to know more about it. :) Thanks!
10 years ago
9 comments:
McKay and I got Facebook accounts about a year ago. Our main "likes" about it are:
1-Finding old friends from high school etc. that we would NEVER be in contact with otherwise.
2-All of our brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc have facebook, so it's a nice way to stay in touch with them.
I think we use facebook like you would...just to see what people are up to. Some go a little (or a lot) overboard with their "status"..they're on there 24/7 updating every minute of their day. Also, there's a bunch of weird games and quizes etc. that people do. We do none of that. Just keep in touch with those who don't have blogger. You can choose how much or how little to use it.
So, I say, go ahead and give it a try. If you hate it, shut it down. Hope that helps!
It's been fun to find old friends (like from summer camps 10+ years ago!). You could even just have 1 page for the 2 of you together :) I think that Facebook is what you make it. It's a single/dating site for those who want it to be, and if you don't it can just be another way to see what you're friends are up to. Just make sure to hide all the games people try to get you to join or it could become a full time job just ignoring the requests :)
Andrea-We dont have facebook for the same reasons you are worried about. I think its great that you can be in contact with people that you normally wouldn't be in contact with, and I also think it is scary because you are in contact with people you normally wouldn't be in contact with. I kind of like the separation from high school and my life now. Not that I don't want to be friends with those that I went to high school with, because I am, we still go to lunch occassionally. But I think it creates casual relationships between people that you shouldn't have casual relationships with. (exes) Anyway, I need some convincing too to get on face book so I am interested to see what people will say to you!
I think I am kind of old fashioned, and maybe I just really don't trust Myself. haha. I just never felt the NEED to get on. Well, like I said I am excited to see what kind of advice you get because I have the same questions!
Okay....I have a facebook account, I've had it for a while. But, I love my blog and it has been a fun way to, like you said keep in touch with people. And for me my blog is more of my family journal/scrapbook. Facebook is more of my way of keeping in contact with people you don't see all the time. It can get a little out of hand because there are people who want to be your friend that you barely know and really don't care to see pics of or see their updates because you don't hardly know who the heck they are, they may know your mom or brother, etc. So, if you get an account, don't just become friends with every person that wants to be your friend. It has been great because it helps to keep in contact with cousins that you never see, aunts, uncles, brothers and sisters. It's not just the young crowd. There are more people on facebook than those that have a blog. If you do get an account don't play all the little games (like Artie now does on MINE...people think it's me on there all the time playing those stupid games...He's too much of a gamer and get's into things like that, but they are dumb and take too much of your time) So, don't do that! And it's easy to be on facebook forever. So, don't do that either. Just use it as a way to keep in touch with friends & family and don't let it take too much of your important time. If you feel awkward becoming friends with exes, old flings...whatever, but you are curious to see their life...I say don't do it. Too many people get in trouble that way! But, then again, the people that get theirselves in situations like that are the ones that don't have a solid relationship anyway... I don't know... If you get one you better be my friend =) and just ignore Artie's stupid game updates...haha, I told him to get his own account and he said he's too far into the games to start over now! UGH!
Ok, this is gonna be long, ready for this? First of all, the people above are absolutely right: Facebook is what you make it. If you go looking to reconnect with an ex or have an affair...you'll do it. If you use it to reconnect with old friends or family members and nothing else...that's what you'll do. I guess I always see it like this: if I'm worried about my husband "reconnecting" with someone...where exactly is my trust issue? Not with facebook, with my husband! Second, if somebody friend requests you and you don't want to accept, don't. I have ignored plenty of people. It's your choice. Third, there are a million games and quizzes and other time-wasters on there. I think they are dumb. That's just me. I have never played or taken one. E-V-E-R. I use facebook to keep in touch with friends & family. Mainly family. I talk to cousins, aunts, uncles, even GRANDPARENTS that I would otherwise not talk to much, if ever. Fourth, facebook and myspace: NOT the same. I never had a myspace account. I think myspace is much trashier. The main reason is because you can go to myspace and type in someone's name and see their page. On facebook, you can do the same, but you will not be able to see their page, photos, etc. You will have to send a friend request to that person and they have to accept it first. So only people you've personally accepted can see your page. Much more private. I enjoy facebook AND blogger. Very different. I think you'd like it. You can use it in a grown-up way. Give it a try! (Told ya this was gonna be long;))
If Cameron and I didn't already have our seperate pages we probably would have created one together...I think that is a safe thing to do and then there should be no relationship issues. I've seen a lot of people have issues and a lot of inappropriate things said about their relationships...I don't know if people just aren't aware of who their friends are....who knows. I like it because I can see what my friends are up to from Elementary/Highschool/college but never actually talk to them. I like it.
I am more with Rach on this and agree with all she said, although I do understand the others, too. I choose not to use it because I don't want one more thing to take up my time! Here is my facebook history: I got an account a year or two ago, then deleted it shortly after because someone wanted to be my friend and it creeped me out, because they are kinda creepy. Even declining it creeped me out because I didn't want them to know I declined and become a crazy hater of me! (Maybe thats silly-but more stress than it needed to be anyhow) Now Jerron has an account and he put it on my iphone cause I would look at his sometimes. Well just like 2 nights ago I stayed up 2 nights in a row for 2 hours reading peoples facebooks till 2am! After I finally put it down the last night, I was like this is so stupid. Picked it up and deleted the app. I guess I proved to myself that I don't have the self control to use it. There is so much technology these days that I think it is really easy to be "plugged in" all the time and when you are always plugged in something else in your life is going to suffer. So I don't think it is for ME. At least not right now. I'm glad you started this conversations cause it's (obviously) something I've been thinking about too! :)
lol
I say make one...if you don't like it delete it!!But I wanna be your first friend invite:):)
Post a Comment